The town’s earliest inventory from 1741 already mention Jews living in Lygumai. The inventory compiled ten years later includes thirteen Jewish families engaged in the liquor trade and crafts. At the beginning of the 19th century, the Jews of, Lygumai had a beit midrash – it means that building intended primarily for those Jews who studied the religious texts of Judaism and served as a prayer house. Later Jewish community built a synagogue. Due to the wooden architecture fires were a very common issue at that time. During one of them in 1876, 30 houses burned down, and two large fires broke out in 1887 destroying the synagogue. Finally, at the turn of the 20th century, a red brick synagogue was built in the town, which survived until today. Synagogue was built by an unknown architect.
An unblistered red-brick structure, standing on a masonry socle so-called “brick style”. The north-eastern street façade is divided into two parts corresponding to the auxiliary premises and the prayer hall. Pilasters divide the façade of the prayer hall into four bays each containing a round-headed window and archivolt. During the First world war, the Jews of Lygumai were expelled by the Russian army and only about 50 families returned after the war. Unfortunately, large fires broke out in Lygumai in 1931 and 1933 again. After the latter, approximately 30 Jewish families took temporary residence in the synagogue. The building operated till the Second World war, During The Nazi occupation, in September 1941 approximately 250 Jews of Lygumai were shot in the Juknaičiai forest. The interior of the synagogue was largely destroyed. However, four central plastered brick pillars have survived in the prayer house. Now the building is currently used for grain storage.