Molėtų sinagogų kiemą žyminti atminimo lenta

Vilniaus g. 45A, Molėtai

The Jewish community settled in Molėtai in the beginning of the 18th century and immediately obtained a permission to build a synagogue. The history of Jewish community buildings in Molėtai began with the building of prayer house. In the middle of the 19th century the Jewish population of Molėtai reached about 1000 people and at the end of the 19th century this number doubled – the Jews made up about 80 percent of Molėtai population. Until the Nazi occupation of 1941 the Jews remained the dominant group of residents in Molėtai and with the increasing numbers of their population they eventually built three more synagogues next to the old one.

The place where all these synagogues stood was called Synagogues Courtyard. Unfortunately, none of these buildings have survived to this day, but they are remembered by a symbolic plaque and a monument to honor the memory of former space of the Synagogues Courtyard.