Till the middle of the 20th century, Prienai Jewish community had two synagogues: a wooden synagogue was built in the 18th century, and another – brick-one was built at the beginning of the 20th century. The wooden synagogue was demolished during the Soviet occupation as the local authorities lacked imagination on how to use the building of the former synagogue.
The remaining building of beit midrash (Vytauto str. 25) stands near the place where once the wooden synagogue stood. The building was reconstructed and completely lost its interior. Now the only original structure of the building could be visible in the eastern façade of the building. In 1944, the Soviet army used the building as a barrack, and later, in 1956, the building was handed over to a construction organization. In 1972, the building changed its function – became a residential house.
Historical Jewish Quarter in Prienai
Historical Jewish Quarter in Birštonas
Historical Jewish Quarter in Stakliškės
Historical Jewish Quarter in Jieznas